ADK Hospital celebrates World Breastfeeding Week 2016
World Breastfeeding Week is an annual celebration which is being held every year from 1to 7 August in many countries all over the world and since past three years ADK Hospital has continued the celebration of this week. World Breastfeeding week is celebrated with the goal to promote exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life which gives tremendous benefits to baby as well as to the mother.
The World Health Organization (WHO), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life and then supplemented breastfeeding up to two years or more.
Theme for World Breastfeeding Week 2016 is “A Key to Sustainable Development”, which is focusing on the importance of breastfeeding and promote breastfeeding as key element in getting us to think about how to value our wellbeing from the start of life, how to respect each other and care for the world we share.
Below are the activities initiated by nurses in ADK Hospital for celebrating world breastfeeding week 2016.
- Breastfeeding refresher workshop for nurses- 1st - 2nd August
- Visit postnatal inpatients for breastfeeding counseling - 1st - 7th August
- Display posters & breastfeeding week theme at Information Counter- 1st - 7th August
- Inauguration of breastfeeding booklet & leaflet - 2nd August
- Visit postnatal mothers who are planned to get discharged from hospital to give breastfeeding counseling - 3rd August
- Breastfeeding quiz between inter-nursing units - 4th August
- Session on breastfeeding for antenatal, postnatal mothers & for ADK staff - 6th August
- Breastfeeding committee launching - 7th August