Laboratory Safety Initiative
As part of the new Laboratory Safety Initiative of the ADK Hospital Laboratory, Infection Control and Laboratory Safety training was conducted for all staff of the Laboratory on 20th and 21st of April 2015.
The main scope of the training is to teach staff to be aware of potential hazards and apply safety practices and techniques (Universal precautions, infection control, chemical and radiation safety, Personal Protective Equipment, dispose of hazardous waste and what to do in case of emergencies).
The main components of the training are
1. General Laboratory Safety
2. Universal Safety Precaution
3. Hand Hygiene
4. Needle Stick Injury
5. Waste management and disposal
Mode of training: (In house, consists of lectures, presentations, practical exercises, demonstrations, movies, Q and A)
Technical experts from the laboratory.
1. Aishath Shelna, Laboratory Director.
2. Dr. Adam Khaleel Yoosuf, Pathologist.
3. Dr. Balaji- Microbiologist.
4. Nahidha Hassan- Laboratory Manager.
5. Aishath Thimna Latheef- Laboratory Quality Control Manager.
A pre and post assessment was also done for monitoring and evaluation purposes. This is part of the continuous quality improvement programs carried out by the Hospital Laboratory and will keep a continous cycle of quality measures in the laboratory. All the staff of the laboratory took part in the program.